Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Christmas Season Abroad

Spending holidays abroad is like trying to get through Christmas morning blindfolded and without breakfast. Pardon the  analogy, but holidays abroad just aren't the same. Though lovely, the true essence of a holiday is those you spend it with. Without family, I feel like some of my senses have been cut off. However, I am lucky enough to have a surrogate kind of family over here in Turkey this year. But as the Christmas season approaches, there are an abundance of things that we Americans take for granted while abroad. Those ex-pats and study abroader's understand this...
 Things I really miss...
  • Peppermint for example. (Luckily, roomie bought a peppermint syrup thing at Starbucks! whew!)
  • the smell of Christmas trees
  • carolers, Christmas pageants
  • Black Friday reports of ridiuclous that always seems to top the year before
  • yummy holiday candle smells
  • decorating a Christmas tree
  • getting annoyed by Christmas carols playing non-stop on the radio, but secretly relishing every moment of it until about December 26...
  • driving through town taking in the Christmas lights on peoples much to decorate houses
  • gingerbread houses and all cookie making activities
  • Themed parties
  • Having a day off for Christmas
Things that make up for it...
  • I am living in Turkey...did I say that?!?
  • I am surrounded by some truly amazing friends 
  • Fresh, frenched-pressed coffee every morning
  • An amazing family that pre-sent me Christmas presents, just in case.
  • we boil cinammon sticks to extract the smell of Christmas yumminess and let it waft through the apartment
  •  teaching my friends here about Christmas and all our traditions
  • I will be experiencing my very first white Christmas! 
    • today, right on schedule, December 1st, brought our first thick frost that stuck :) Bring on the snowmen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog