Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Turkish Names

As anyone who has studied another language will tell you, the most amusing part of learning another language is the ridiculous translations you often produce, as an equivalent to your mother tongue. While in Turkey, I have noted, and giggled to myself many a time, in the silly little translations that are used in everyday Turkish. In English, they just don't work.

For a good chuckle to the English translations, see below: 
[Some are first names for people, others are city names]

The funniest include:
Yunus Emre: Happy Dolphin (First name, Surname)
Baris Can Cicek: Peace life flower 
Beyköy: Man Village 
Some of my students, fellow colleagues and I at our holiday party
Bolu: city (city= the actual name of a city) 
Balikesir: fish prisoner/captive (city) 
Büyükyoncalı: large shamrock (city) 
Duygu: feeling 
Ipek: silk 
Guneş: sun (surname)
Garip: strange, bizarre, weird
Batman (yes, it is the name of a city) 


The most beautiful include:
Nurcan: light-soul
Damla: water-drop
Cansu: the life-water
Tatlisu: sweet-water (city) 
Konca: bud 


Names in Turkey are a different phenomenon then they are elsewhere. In fact, surnames weren't common in Turkey until 1934 when Ataturk, the founder of the Turkish Republic passed a law that mandated the creation of surnames. Thus, when people created names, they had leeway to choose the names they wanted. It makes a person wonder how much impact a name can have on a life. If you went through life with the name Honey Bee, would it influence your disposition, or others perception of you? If I had a friend called Honey Bee, I think I would subconsciously think of her as sweeter, than say, a person named "bizarre/strange." Though, in the end, I think Turkish culture has concocted some intensely adorable names. My very favorite is Damla, a water drop, which is a girls name. 




3 comments:

  1. Are you sure it's bakirköy and not bakırköy (copper village)? bakir doesn't just mean bachelor, it means male virgin in Turkish. They use bekâr for unmarried bachelor. I'm asking because I have a student whose last name is Bakır, and boy howdy was it a ruckus when I accidentally pronounced it "Bakir."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Matt! You are so right! I had the spelling incorrect. But wouldn't it be much more exciting to have Male Virgin village than Copper village? Thanks for correcting me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to know a guy called Şansın Kara. Meaning "your luck is black" His parents much have been a fun couple!

    ReplyDelete

Search My Blog