Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sheiken Street, Tel Aviv

I am supposed to get my bags back this morning. Its about 10am here and I couldn't sleep because there is a new building going up next to my friends apartment and they are jack hammering at 9am. So now I am wide awake. I'm having an amazing time. I went to the market yesterday, practiced my Hebrew, and got all these fresh vegetables and fish to cook for my friend who is hosting me. It was great walking through the streets of Tel Aviv and remembering all these old places and restaurants from two years ago. I cooked a big dinner last night and some of his friends came over and we watched a movie, just hung out.
I relaxed all morning, mushing around the apartment waiting for the dang bags to come. I made myself fresh eggs from the market with oozing cheese and fresh Israeli salad. I am reading, reflecting, and journaling about past experiences in an attempt to critically juxtapose my Arab and Israeli experiences.
I waited until 1pm when the Russian immigrant Jewish man brought my bags up four flights of stairs. I was ecstatic, thank the dear lord. I just wanted my bags. Anyways, I unpacked a ton of stuff, stoked to finally have the basic necessities with me! I got ready for yoga, Yam was nice enough to lend me his mat and then I was on my way to Yoga. I google mapped it and decided to walk to the Bikram studio. It ended up being about a 35-minute walk, give or take. I walked up the beach road to the Opera Tower and turned to Allenby and followed it up to one of the side roads I was supposed to take. Allenby is not the most beautiful of streets in Tel Aviv. As you pass by the stripper joints, the putrid smell of urine passes through your nose, leaving a scowl on your face. But continuing on there were random stores full of fashion from the 90’s, old camera’s, hippy-chic boutiques and people rushing on their way to some place or the other.
I found a new favorite street in Tel Aviv, and don’t even remember the name of it. Anyways, it is right across from the HaCarmel Market. It is a street of such high intensity. Full of shops, sounds and people bustling around. I sat in this coffee shop called Aroma, relaxed after my morning of Bikram yoga (which was really cool to take the class in Hebrew). I watched families come and go, shop owners receiving deliveries. All and all, my eyes were reopened to the city of Tel Aviv. So full of life and laughter.
We went out for sushi with my old friends from two years ago, who are really amazing people. We journeyed on to this club- it was a mob getting in. And, like all clubs they handpicked girls to let in out of the masses lol. Its kind of funny to watch. Anyways we get into this club and the lights were way trippy. Blinking, flashing and being highered and lowered above your heads, I felt like I was on acid or something. The DJ was ok, but I wasn't that into going out and getting wasted. Times change I guess. But I was also adjusting to the city, meeting people and was a little out of my comfort zone. I left for Kibbutz Naan- Yam's friend helped me with my bags down four flights of stairs and over to catch my sherut to the bus station. This creepy guy from Manhatten, who apparently is now an Israeli postal worker was following me- offering me a job and made me promise I would write him. Clearly, not happening. He was the definition of senile, creepy old man. Anyways, arrived to Kibbutz Naan safely. Met everyone here. More updates on Kibbutz life to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog