Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Whole Lotta Jesus.

Started the morning off with the sermon on the Mt of Beatitudes. The pastor gave a sermon in this little chapel belonging to the Nuns who reside there because it was raining. Another church group was jammed inside the chapel within the chapel. Everything spoken made me think. About witnessing (I personally don’t believe in it), about how I view my life, if there is a will beyond what I can see, if anything at all exists, etc. We traveled onto Capernium and shockingly enough it rained on us. There, a Messianic Jew prayed in Hebrew and explained how his life was changed by Jesus Christ. I honestly had no idea what to think about it. We explored around the miracle triangle where 70% of the miracles in the New Testament happened. Everything beings to blend together, despite the magnificence of the separate sites.
February 27, 2010
This morning we took the boat from a dock near our hotel on the Sea of Galilee. Known as the Knerret in Israel, it literally means ‘a big harp’, which is the shape of the lake. It was pouring down rain all morning. Of course I am confined to wearing my Brikenstocks while I am here because I strained my tendon and can’t have any pressure on the back of my foot. Hence, my feet and Birks become sopping wet as we trudge through the puddles down towards the dock. We finally boarded the boat and started the morning off with a sermon from their preacher about Jesus and Peter walking on water, the storms, and some of the miracles performed around the lake. Hymns were sung, the usual Awesome God. (which the pastor didn’t know the words to which I found hilarious!- but in good way, he had a great sense of humor about it) We got to witness a couple who are Messianic Jews (Jews who believe Jesus is the Messiah) renew their wedding vows. It was a total surprise to his wife and it was a beautiful little ceremony on the lake. As the rains came down blowing through the plastic window-like coverings along the outer-rims of the boat we continued in song. The sun broke through the clouds just in time for the end of the wedding and was stunningly beautiful as it cast light over the surrounding areas of the lake, washed fresh anew with the spring rains. Everything here is in bloom because of the early hot weather we experienced early on. Mustard seeds, violet, thyme, daisies, even almond trees are blooming on the hillsides where the beginnings of Christianity sprouted thousands of years ago. I have really been challenged on this tour. I constantly question my beliefs, what I think is the correct approach to religion (for me) and the historical accuracy of religious texts. I spoke with the Pastor today, asked him if he takes the bible literally, short answer: yes. Long answer: looks at the Book of Revelations with a critical eye, which I thought was an interesting answer. The most amazing thing about this trip; whether or not I declare myself a believer in Jesus, which I still am questioning- experiencing this aspect of Israel from a Christian perspective has added a completely new dimension to my faith and understanding of a book I have read since I was a little girl. The Bible makes so much more sense to me now. The geographic dimensions, climate, pathways, and general influence of the area- it all clicked. I only wish my family had been with me for this. My Dad is such a history buff and I think it would’ve been great to ask him about how everything molds together, historically speaking.
Anyways we went to a Kibbutz afterwards for a look at a boat found from the first century. I was getting a soy Americano, my typical pick me-up. Ever since that darn country of Italy, I have been addicted to coffee. It started with the espresso families served me in the morning, continued with the coffee I drank daily before class at the American University in Cairo, and has been solidified by the free coffee provided by my Kibbutz. I am now addicted. And I love it. I love the smell of coffee, the shape of the beans, the colorful bags.
Ok, just checked myself. Wow. I wrote a paragraph of how much I love coffee. See what all this touring is doing to me? I am delirious in my sleepiness. (But still love coffee) Continuing, we visited ruins of a bathhouse and amphitheater near the Jordanian border. We literally passed the Jordanian flag and a military outpost. I got motion sickness so was more interested in what our tour guide so affectionately refers to as the “Peepee-tourium” than I was in the amphitheater. Thank the lord humans invented medicine- the Bonine returned me to my normal state. Lunch was at another Kibbutz, of fish and salads. Today was baptism day and just about everyone in the church got baptized in the Jordan River. I abstained. If I am ever baptized in the Jordan River I want it to be by my parents. Everyone was so moved by the experience, and I become the camera lad y. I think at one point I had 6 camera’s in my hands- snapping back and forth between the people dressed in their bathing suits draped in white robes. Now, I am absolutely exhausted. I can’t even be reflective about my religious experiences today. Out of all the people (and most are 50 and over) I am the old grandma. It’s my bedtime darn it, and I’m tired! So to bed I go. Tomorrow is Masada, the Dead Sea and Jerusalem at sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog