Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Are you Jewish?

When I was working in the kitchen, getting introduced to everyone, one of my old people friends said to me, “you know there are Arabs right. In the kitchen I mean Only Samea is Jewish. Just to know, you know to be politically correct when you say things.” He knows I speak Arabic so introduced me to them prefacing with my language ability. So while I work in the kitchen, I am yelled at in three languages. I find this interesting because many people here forget I am not Jewish, or assume that I am and make political and social comments thinking as such.
At the Western Wall in Jerusalem, on Pesach, I asked a woman if I could borrow the prayer book sitting next to her on the little plastic chairs they provide for praying. Speaking in Hebrew for a while, she readily handed me the book and engaged me in a conversation about what brought me to Jerusalem. The inevitable question came up, are you Jewish? I responded yes, not in the mood to answer questions- merely attempting to say a prayer for peace in my favorite city; Jerusalem; the city that brings the three worlds religions to their knees.
“She said, oh well when are you moving here?”
“I need to finish my studies before I do anything else.”
“Isn’t it great that you are Israeli?”
Not understanding, I explained, “no I’m not Israeli, I’m American.”
She looked at me quizzically and said, “Dear, of course you are Israeli. Israel is for you. This is what we fought for. For you to have this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog