Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The New Melting Pot

Assuming that Israel is a homogenous place because of its existence as a Jewish state is an incorrect assumption. Made up of immigrants from all over the world, Israel becomes more and more diverse every year. The first time I lived here, I didn’t understand how special the absorption process here is. For those of you who don’t know, any person of Jewish heritage can make aliyah (ascent to Israel) and decide to become an Israeli citizen. The government puts you in absorption centers, pays for you to attend Ulpan to learn Hebrew, and ships all of your things over to Israel for free. This in addition to countless other benefits. Coming to Ulpan on Kibbutz Na’an about 60% of the participants here are 20-somethings who have made aliyah.
We are now more than two months into the program and at least 6 more people here have chosen to make aliyah. Ulpans are funded partially by the Jewish Agency. Interestingly enough, speaking with friends who have decided to make the move, I generally receive one of two answers as to why they have chosen to uproot their lives and move to Israel. 1) I have always felt an inclination to Israel. I am Jewish and it just made sense. I want to protect and defend my country. Or 2) I needed a new beginning. Israel offers me that and they pay me to do it.
The second reason is what intrigues me. Israel is in essence, the new America. In the twenty first century, what other country has allowed mass immigration and financed people to do it? Similar to the property grabbing back in those colonial times, Jewish people come here, expectant of certain rights, property and opportunities available to them in this new land. Now don’t get me wrong, they give back as well. Israel has in effect become a true melting pot. Because of the Diaspora, Jews have been able to emigrate here from South America (Argentina, Brazil) from all over Europe (though that mostly occurred before, during and directly proceeding the Holocaust), African nations (Ethiopia, South Africa), the Middle East (Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco) and basically all of Eastern Europe.
Depending on what city you enter, signs will be proudly displayed in several languages. Rehovot, the country nearest to my Kibbutz is primarily Russian. Street signs, flyers, advertisements and bumper stickers are proudly displayed in Russian. There are pockets of concentrated nationalities scattered around the country. This lends itself to a rapidly diversifying culture; cuisines from all parts of the world, languages, dances, music and customs. I wonder, can the new generation, one that in a few years will probably consist of as many immigrants as original Zionists, be able to look beyond the quarrels of their Jewish brothers of past? Currently, much of the political climate is dictated by the ultra-orthodox politics, and pacifying the tension between those Israeli citizens who are religious and those who are secular. I pray that this trend of immigration also brings in a broader worldview with diverse perspectives that can be incorporated into the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog