Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 in Turkey

September 11 was commemorated in Turkey by our visit to the US Ambassador's compound in Ankara. The US Marines and the ambassador led the ceremony with beautiful renditions of the anthem, a speech reflecting on the unfortunate events 10 years previous, and lowering the flag to half mast. Surprisingly emotional, the days events took me back to that morning in 7th grade when the first tower was hit.

America, what are you doing today? More than anything, meeting ambassadors, hanging out with foreign diplomats, I am convinced the government needs unselfish people with clear visions (and integrity) to enter into government service. Clarity, passion and direction are needed. If my generation continues the circus parading around oil, guns and money, the US won't maintain its hegemonic status, period. Education is the key to understanding, to cultural development, and ultimately to global success on a continuously expanding world market. I hope that my generation can step it up. The buck stops here: with my generation. Today was a day of clarity for me :)

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had somewhere to go to be apart of the US spirit. I can only imagine how hard it is to be away fro m your home country on a day like that. July 4th was always difficult for me when I was away. I guess you don't realize how much you miss something so simple in many people's eyes until you don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Sarah. Education is key to understanding. . . and travel is the key to allowing people to see. Unfortunately, it takes people who are willing to step out of their comfort zone and closed mindedness.

    We need unselfish people with clear visions with a plan to show how we can get there.

    ReplyDelete

Search My Blog