Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ankara'da

 A group of us at Ataturk's Mausoleum. After a tour of Ataturk's possessions, history and military successes. Like I said, Fulbrighters are pretty darn impressive. My roommate, Tas is the girl in the center- I got really lucky- she's an awesome girl, and reminds me of a combination of two of my best friends. We'll be living together this year!
A stunning view of Ankara from the Mausoleum. The Turks have an inherent source of pride for their heritage, their country, and the historical leaders. And whoever says Ankara is boring and ugly is seriously wrong. The city oozes green trees, charming cafes and a real-city feel, opposed to Istanbul which feels way more touristy. Walking around the city, we venture into Kuafors (hair shops), pastry shops, banks and tourist agencies. Just to talk, to practice Turkish. I attempted a visit to find hairspray. It took me at least 20 minutes to convey that I needed hairspray, not hair. It took me another 10 to negotiate a price. Starting at the beginning of a language is always humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog