Friday, September 23, 2011

It Only Takes One

Musing about first impressions, and perceptions this morning over a steaming cup of French pressed organic Colombian coffee watching the raindrops pour over my little town of Duzce, I couldn't help but wander, am I prejudiced? I should certainly hope not! Do I stereotype different cultures? I like to think I am very open of new cultures, religions, orientations and colors. But in reality, we are all prejudiced. It is embarrassing to admit, politically incorrect, and sad. We are all shaped by the influences of our surroundings, of our family, of our experiences.

Below is the first definition and two examples that comes up for the word prejudiced:
Preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience
  • - English prejudice against foreigners
  • - anti-Jewish prejudice
This definition startled me. The examples irked me. When you think of prejudice, are those the first two examples that would pop up in your head? They are most certainly not mine. Besides, prejudice is not simply a preconceived opinion, but can also refer to an experienced prejudice- an experience that causes you to think a certain way about a person, or a culture, or a religion. There are two main points that need to be addressed.

First, the examples. English prejudice against foreigners? Great. We are back to xenophobia. As a Fulbrighter this year, part of our mission is to facilitate cross-cultural understanding. I take this very seriously. What is the point of living abroad, or becoming part of another culture if there is no exchange? I honestly, as corny as it sounds, believe with all my heart, that the key to change in this world is deep, meaningul cultural exchange. Cultural understanding. As Americans, I hope that we can embrace our visitors from other places. Maybe we can start a new movement, American hospitality? Sounds silly doesn't it? Well, the Turks are famous for theirs. Come on America, step it up! Take in a foreign exchange student. Invite a foreigner you know to a home cooked American meal. Take them to a place of cultural meaning to you. There is nothing to be afraid of. Let's change that example under the word prejudice. It starts with me, and you.
Additionally, As an American, as a former inhabitant of Israel, of Egypt and as a person I am deeply saddened that anti-Jewish is our example. Really? Get over it people. You don't have to agree with the politics of Israel, I certainly don't on many regards, but that doesn't stop my love for the people who have changed my life and for a beautiful country that truly has shaped the Middle East. This is not a political statement. AT ALL. This is a plea for understanding. Which brings me to my second point...

Second, The prejudice. You are prejudiced. I am prejudiced. It sucks, but it's true. Are you prejudiced because of Israelis because of the politics of their state? If so, I urge you to re-evaluate your prejudice, your opinion. Do you know an Israeli? Have you ever met an Israeli? If so, what did you think of them? Is your entire perception of a country based off of one person, and the media? My guess is yes. For most people, the answer is yes. THIS is my point. We all make huge, ridiculous, generalized assumptions about a country, or a community, or a religion, or whatever based off of our interactions with one, two or even three people (or the media). Maybe it was even a week vacation in a resort. But let's be real. Did you make your very best effort to communicate with them? Have you watched independent media sources about that country? Do you know the beautiful things about their culture? It is imperative that I, that we, do not generalize about cultures or countries or people. I found myself comparing Turkey to Egypt and swearing that all Middle Eastern countries incorporate the same cultural elements. This is simply not true. There are parts, indeed. But I will not fully experience the beauty of Turkish culture if I automatically categorize it in with a previous experience of mine. The more I travel, the more I become aware of these tendencies. With every day, starting tabla rasa is your best gift to the world.
I urge you to think of that one Danish person you met, or that one South African, or Cambodian. Where those interactions positive? Do you generalize your perception of that country because of one measly little interaction. Please re-evaluate. My world, my generations world is shrinking rapidly. Culture is now displayed via the internet; videos, biographies, facebook, etc. With all of this shrinking, and with all the changes, I beg my generation to not generalize. Every culture or country is unique, and what deepens understanding is appreciation. Let's appreciate our differences. Only then, can we find the truth: that we are all, really the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog