Monday, September 5, 2011

Welcome to Ankara

Palm Beach to Detroit to Amsterdam to Istanbul to Ankara. Ankara, yes. I am finally in the heart of the Ottoman empire. The flights were a blur, surrounded by happy faces of Fulbrighters. We all started chatting in Amsterdam, pondering the adventures awaiting us in Turkey, reciting short Turkish phrases and the like. I passed out on the way to Ankara, sleeping when my bottom touched the seat till the wheels landing on the tarmac. Welcome to Turkey! The airport was pristine and embellished with 40 feet long water fountains. I was the lucky duck and got my bags first!

We took a cab to our hotel, Niza Park Hotel, a schnazzy four star hotel in the quietly bustling city of Ankara. People are amazingly friendly. I had several people offer to help me with my bags, because I was clearly struggling under the mammoth carry-ons I had decided to pack with every heavy thing I couldn't fit in my other 2, 53 pound suitcases. So long shoulders, see you next year. I cannot feel my upper half. But alas, I am in Turkey, my home for the next 10 months. My Turkish is kicking back in, as is the feeling of half drowning in a conversation where someone assumes you speak Turkish and begins gabbing in rapid-fire Turkish, only to be subdued by my clearly puzzled expression.

Another year of adventure is at my fingertips. I am ready to explore. But first, orientation. Tomorrow morning until next Thursday, where I head to my city, Duzce. Or as it is affectionately known, the Duz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog