Tuesday, September 13, 2011

When I Revert

Some things in life are universal. As I lay in the park (adjacent to the Turkish Prime Minister's giant compound) infused with the melodic sounds of harmonzing birds and the gush of the water fountains spalshes reaching the calm waters of the pond, I am reminded that wherever I am nature brings me back to the very same place: when I am still, free to question, to ponder, to analyze. I have yet to discover if I believe in a religion, but no matter where I've been; the White Desert of the Sahrara, the islands of Croatia, the mountains of Turkey or the quiet beauty of Jupiter, Florida- my soul emits the same questions. But most importantly, it returns to the same feeling of reassurance, of some godly existance, of a higher, un-namable force. I watch children and their parents look for bugs and exlaim with glee upon their discoveries. Turkish couples flirt on park benhces and dogs roll around and play with a simple display of true joy.
My trip to Turkey has been a blur. Everyday, orientation introduces us to something new- a new unknown to explore- and I desperate cling to the information given to us that seems to float out of my brain, upwards, like a balloon. It is in the same quiet stillness that I return to reflection, where I found myself returning to the very things I advise others not to do. Sometimes, I notice my stubbornness, as if I am some diverse world traveler and "I know." If course I know what know, but what I do not know, is far more vast. I've noticed that once someone (including myself) becomes what most people would label "well-traveled," our international experiences are applied to others, even out of context. For example, because I am familiar with the Middle East and have working knowledge of Hebrew and Arabic, I like to think I know a good deal about the Middle East. I had subconsciously  grouped Turkey into that idea of culture and norms. I found myself making assumptions about behavior, non-verbal communication, gender roles, and the like. All because my international experiences are the pool from which I draw my knowledge. To become stuck- to make generalizations and assumptions (even though they are both Middle Eastern countries with Muslim majorities) fulfills the exact opposite purposes than what I came to Turkey to do. I've noticed the trend of well traveled individuals to always throw in a, "when I was in X country," and comparing there totally different experiences to this one instead of starting tabla rasa, so you don't implant false or generalized thoughts into your new adventure. In short, be open, you will always be ignorant unless you're willing to learn and willing to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog