Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nibblets

A nibblet is a nuggest of information. Just a bit, a little anecdote, a tale, an example even. I decided to compile a few nibblets about my Turkish experience thus far. Do they each merit a full story? No, but a nibblet will suffice just fine.

  • Today, I began Turkish lessons with a fellow teacher. He was kind enough to just offer to teach new words every Tuesday. He is a great guy, always wears excellent hats that are a cross between a bowlers hat and a newsboy cap. He gave me a ride home today in his 1997 sports car, weaving in and out of traffic (not so different from my Egyptian friends) like the other cars were simply a distraction. He switched on some tunes and much to my surprise, proclaimed his love for the musical styling of Mrs. Celiene Dion and the notable Shania Twain. We jammed out to "Man I feel like a Woman" the whole way home. 
  • Completely unrelated, I love my nut shop. In Turkey, but especially in Duzce, there are an assortment of excellent nut shops. Any kind of nut you want, they've got it. And they are warm. Always toasty warm. You can literally get a pound or three of nuts for under $5. As a gluten-free woman, I must pass on many tasty things so I need something (besides kuenfe) to obsess over here. My city is famous for their hazlenuts and I buy them by the bushel. Dried strawberries? Walnuts? Almonds? Pumpkin seeds? Chocolate? Cigarettes? They've got it. Plus, I have become a regular at the nut shop around the corner. I get free bags of nuts sometimes. Whenever I go and the owner is there, I get little sample bags of the freshly made Turkish delight. Am I going a bit nutty? Perhaps. But alas, if you had a nut shop, you would be a regular too.  The nuts are amazing in this country.Dare I say it, nut-tastic? Ok, I went too far.
  • As the holidays approach, I am especially grateful to the Turkish culture for two reasons. First, chestnuts roasting on an open fire is a common thing. Men and their little heating grills plop themselves down on the side of a street and roast them chestnuts. Nothing brings on the holiday cheer like a roasting chestnut. And second, I have found numerous Christmas trees and ornaments in Istanbul...though pricey they may be, the exist. Truth be told, I am going to go chop down my own Christmas tree. Inshallah. I really want the whole go into a forest, hack away and chop down a tree experience. Axes are available at my local "Bazaristan" which means the country of bazaars, which is my Walmart equivalent over here, for a mere 5tl ($2.75)


2 comments:

  1. Cutting down a tree is the best. Have fun and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these nibblets. Also, can I have some of yo nuts?
    - LG

    ReplyDelete

Search My Blog