Saturday, November 19, 2011

Schlepping


I always travel in hostels and schlep all over the world with backpacks and bags falling off my shoulders. If you can picture me traveling, especially when I'm by myself, imagine a tiny little blond girl whipping in and out of the crowds hitting people trying to sell postcards with my gigantic, overstuffed bags. Taking out the postcard sellers is my specialty. Thus, In Israel, I wasn’t used to the five star hotels who take away any bag I may be holding and take it all the way up to my room. Not to mention the buffet meals. I travel cheap. Bring on the hostels and sketchy places, I only ever sleep in the place anyway. 
Suffice it to say that I gained a good pound or two with so much good, free food while I was living it up in the fanschy-schmancy hotels in Israel. When I came back to Istanbul from Tel Aviv, after being thoroughly searched by Israeli security, I was carrying my gigantic duffel, my bulging purse, a stuffed duty-free bag and a big cardboard box. I had to take the subway at crux hours with all this stuff to get to the main area of Istanbul cheaply and quickly. Schlepping is the only word for it. Like I said, I am a master at accidentally knocking people over.I slept in the "Best Island Hotel" in Istanbul, a decently sketchy but family owned place that was clean. I finally finished schlepping my stuff through the streets of the most touristy part of Istanbul and checked into my hostel. I wandered around into four different hotels asking different prices. One place was 150Euro for a night. It was not a nice hotel. Bah. I looked at the maitre'de and said, oh sorry, I am poor. And walked down the street to the next hotel I saw. Four hotels and ridiculous high prices later, I found the Best Island Hostel. 

After shlepping I need some good relaxation. I wanted to go to a hamam but I was so darn tired I thought I'd fall asleep in the steamy hot rooms and die of a heat stroke. So, I passed. I decided to sit and enjoy a hot cup of coffee (or 3) and journal all my reflections from my Israel trip. I keep thinking about all the things I've learned throughout my travels and how I can pass that along. If I could give non-country specific advice, it would be:
1) make a reservation. prices are always cheaper. (obvious, but really.)
2) journal while you are traveling. collect business cards from the restaurants and hostels and cool people you meet. Write about the cultural differences you encounter. You won't remember what you first thought...and one day, you'll be so happy. Plus, you can give your friends good recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search My Blog